There's that knot in your stomach when something in the RV doesn't work.
A sinking feeling that you have no idea what's going on or how to fix it.
Frantic internet searches don't seem to turn up much, or turn up too much - how do you sort through all the potential issues?
If you've ever found yourself in this situation, congratulations - you've earned your RVer's gauntlet badge!
Most new RVs work seamlessly most of the time and you never think that there's going to be a problem - until there is.
So, how do you figure out your next steps?
First, you need to know your RV.
Troubleshooting an RV problem begins with understanding how the systems in your RV work.
Each system has multiple components and must work together for the operation to run smoothly.
So it makes sense to get acquainted with your RV's systems.
Second, you need to know how and when to maintain all those parts!
Components wear out, parts need lubrication and cleaning, systems need to be monitored, and warranty maintenance must be performed.
It can feel like a lot of "plates” to keep spinning!
In the time we have owned an RV, we've had our share of problems. Some caused by our own ignorance, some from faulty components, and some from maintenance issues.
As newbies in the RV world, it was difficult to figure out which article, blog post, or forum response addressed our specific problem.
Finally, we decided to learn more about our RV's systems and follow a standard troubleshooting protocol.
What a difference that made! So, we compiled a notebook of what we've learned about the RV and how stay on top of all the maintenance tasks.
That notebook turned into, Small-RV Ninja!
Small-RV Ninja may be your first step in getting to know more about how your RV works. It outlines each RV system, its component parts, and how the system operates.
Once you know the "chain" of components, it's a lot easier to identify which one is malfunctioning when a problem arises.
An RV can feel like a mystery.
- How does an inverter control the power for your RV?
- Why can draining your battery bank be a costly mistake?
- How does campground water pressure impact your RV plumbing system?
- What’s the big deal with RV liquid propane?
- Is the RV's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating related to anything practical?
- What are the benefits and challenges with a generator?
And, then there are the base-line items:
- There are so many terms, RVers seem to have their own language! Small-RV Ninja offers a glossary of RV terminology
- Remembering how to do things when you don’t do them everyday makes RV camping a bit intimidating. Small-RV Ninja provides a set of checklists for set-up and break-down for camping with hook-ups or "boondocking"
- So, how do you winterize your RV's plumbing system? Small-RV Ninja gives you a step-by-step checklist to follow
- Almost a yukky question, but how do you dump the grey and black tanks? Small-RV Ninja covers that too!
We know now that maintenance is critical to keeping an RV running smoothly, so Small-RV Ninja also offers reminders on which parts require maintenance.
At the very least, you'll know that you're are doing all you can to avoid a maintenance-related problem!
But we didn't stop with just writing a guide about the RV, we added two bonus tools to help you stay on top of your RV's information and the maintenance requirements.
One is the RV Information Notebook.
A simple e-notebook to write down all the particulars about your RV; from the VIN to the types of fuses and filters you need.
Every component is included and there's even room for your notes!
The other tool is the RV Maintenance Schedule.
This spreadsheet outlines all of the RV's components with room for you to note the date each is serviced.
It can also act as a seasonal maintenance checklist. Again, we left room for your notes for each component.
Both tools are in an editable-pdf format. That means you can download it to your computer, laptop or tablet and make your entries.
Then, save it to your computer or to a cloud service like Google Docs or Dropbox so that you can access it anywhere.
Of course, if you prefer, you can simply print it out and keep it in the RV!
Small-RV Ninja is a great way to take the next step in learning about your RV, and the bonus content will become an integral part of your RV maintenance routine.